Downtown Chandler has lots going on. Here are all the ways to spend day or an evening there
Your guide to all the restaurants, bars and things to do in downtown Chandler
Chandler may be known for its annual Chandler Ostrich Festival and huge tumbleweed Christmas tree, but its thriving downtown is another draw for locals and visitors alike.
Business is booming — retail vacancy is “the lowest recorded rate in more than 10 years” as of March, according to the city — and there is no shortage of places to eat, drink and hang out.
Downtown Chandler is home to two dozen restaurants and bars, several colorful murals, a grassy park and some long-running family businesses. It sits between Chandler Boulevard and Frye Road, with most businesses cloistered across several blocks on Arizona Avenue.
If you’re looking for some guidance on how to make the most of your time in downtown Chandler, here’s a list of places to eat and drink, events happening throughout the year and where you can shop.
What’s new in Chandler:This K-Pop shop and several restaurants are now open
Downtown Chandler restaurants
Here’s where to get a meal downtown.
- Bourbon Jacks American Tavern: 11 W. Boston St., Suite 1, Chandler. 480-664-1738, https://www.bourbonjacks.com.
- Charm Thai Cuisine: 11 W. Boston St. #5, Chandler. 480-917-7222, https://www.charmtc.com.
- Cheba Hut “Toasted” Subs: 11 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-687-8990, https://chebahut.com/locations/chandleraz.
- Craft 64: 68 W. Buffalo St., Chandler. 480-247-3002, https://www.craft64.com/chandler.
- Crust Simply Italian Chandler: 10 N. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-917-4903, https://crustrestaurants.com.
- DC Steak House: 180 S. Arizona Ave., Suite 106, Chandler. 480-899-4400, https://www.dc-steakhouse.com.
- Eastwind Sushi and Grill: 58 W. Buffalo St., Chandler. 480-855-7451, https://www.facebook.com/EastwindSushi.
- Gadzooks: 290 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 602-279-5080, https://www.gadzooksaz.com.
- Ghett Yo Taco: 241 S. Oregon St., Chandler. 480-726-9654, https://www.ghettyotaco.com.
- The Hidden House: 159 W. Commonwealth Ave., Chandler. 480-275-5525, https://www.hiddenhouseaz.com.
- Inchin’s Bamboo Garden: 17 E. Boston St., Chandler. 480-786-4008, https://bamboo-gardens.com.
- Jinya Ramen Bar: 130 S. Arizona Ave., Suite 1, Chandler. 480-758-5198, https://www.jinyaramenbar.com.
- La Ristra New Mexican Kitchen: 140 N. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-590-0002, https://laristraaz.com.
- The Local Chandler: 55 W. Chicago St., Chandler. 480-699-9104, https://www.thelocalchandler.com.
- Mingle + Graze: 48 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-726-2264, https://mingleandgraze.com.
- Original ChopShop: 35 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-426-0216, https://originalchopshop.com.
- Over Easy: 140 N. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-257-3449, https://eatatovereasy.com.
- Pirate’s Fish & Chips: 200 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-963-4277, https://www.facebook.com/pirateschandler.
- Sasha’s Kitchen & Cocktails: 81 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-284-7447, https://sashaskitchenaz.com.
- Serrano’s Mexican Restaurant: 141 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-899-3318, https://serranosaz.com.
- The Stillery: 130 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-590-1409, https://www.stillerychandler.com.
- Truland Burgers & Greens: 140 N. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-597-7806, https://www.trulandburgers.com.
- West Alley BBQ & Smokehouse: 111 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-248-8819, https://www.westalleybbq.com.
Downtown Chandler bars and breweries
These establishments are known for their craft cocktails, wine and beer. Most also serve food.
- BlackSheep Wine Bar & Merchant: 98 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-912-1212, https://www.blacksheep.wine.
- The Brickyard Downtown: 85 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-963-1373, https://brickyarddowntown.com.
- Murphy’s Law Irish Pub & Ale House: 58 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-812-1588, https://www.murphyslaw.pub.
- The Ostrich: 10 N. San Marcos Place #B1, Chandler. 480-917-4903, https://crustrestaurants.com.
- Pedal Haus Brewery: 95 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-656-1639, https://www.pedalhausbrewery.com.
- The Perch Brewery and Pub: 232 S. Wall St., Chandler. 480-773-7688, https://perchpubbrewery.com.
- Quart Haus: 201 S. Washington St., Chandler. 480-439-2739, https://quarthaus.com.
- Recreo: 28 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-909-6467, https://www.recreoaz.com.
- SanTan Brewing Company: 8 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-917-8700, https://santanbrewing.com.
- The Sleepy Whale: 290 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-758-4979, https://www.thesleepywhale.com.
- Spirit House: 8 S. San Marcos Place, #106, Chandler. 480-917-8700, https://spirithouseaz.com.
Where to get coffee, desserts in Chandler
- Downtown Chandler Cafe and Bakery: 40 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-855-3212, https://dccafeandbakery.com.
- Paletas Betty: 96 W. Boston St., #100, Chandler. 480-779-8080, https://paletasbetty.com.
- Peixoto Coffee: 11 W. Boston St., #6, Chandler. 480-275-2843, https://peixotocoffee.com.
- Pie Snob: 250 S. Arizona Ave., Suite #4, Chandler. 480-855-1019, https://www.piesnob.com.
Chandler’s bubble tea scene:These new boba stores recently opened
Where to shop in downtown Chandler
Browsing downtown Chandler’s stores, it’s apparent that there’s plenty of local pride. You’ll find gifts for yourself and loved ones, such as clothing, Arizona-themed accessories and gift baskets at these locally-owned shops.
- Blue Planet Outdoors: 44 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. 480-525-6189, https://www.blueplanetoutdoors.com.
- D’Vine Gourmet: 72 S. San Marcos Place, Chandler. https://www.dvinegourmet.com.
- Next Door Novelties: 135 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-559-8025, https://nextdoornovelties.com.
- The Religion Store: 101 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-786-5090, https://the-religion-store.business.site.
- Saba’s Western Wear: 67 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-963-4496, https://sabasofchandler.com.
- Shoe Thrill: 11 W. Boston St., Suite 2, Chandler. 480-275-2898, https://shoethrill.com.
Things to do in downtown Chandler
With palm-lined streets, colorfully painted walls, the grassy Dr. A.J. Chandler Park and restaurants that pour out onto the sidewalks with patio dining, downtown Chandler is easy to wander around.
You’ll find plenty of street parking, parking garages and some electric car-charging stations to use while you wander the downtown streets.
When you want to cool down, watch the latest movie releases and drink some beer, try LOOK Dine-In Cinemas Chandler (1 W. Chandler Blvd.).
A free attraction is the Vision Gallery (10 E. Chicago St.), inside City Hall. You’ll find local and regional artists represented in rotating exhibits that feature a variety of media, including film, photography, textiles, painting, jewelry and sculptures.
To make your own art, including glass fusing and pottery, head to family-owned art studio Burst of Butterflies (141 W. Boston St.). Bring the family to a clay wheel throwing class or have an adult night at the pottery wheel with your beverage of choice.
When day turns to night, head to ImprovMania (250 S. Arizona Ave.) to enjoy open mics, improv shows (family-friendly options are available) and standup comedy.
For a variety of musical, cultural and dance performances, check out Chandler Center for the Arts’ (250 N. Arizona Ave.) events calendar. Chandler Symphony Orchestra also performs classical concerts there.
There are plenty of things to do outdoors, too.
Colorful murals will catch your attention as you meander the east-west streets off of Arizona Avenue. There’s the 225-foot-long wall along the Commonwealth Canal with “downtown Chandler” painted across by Chandler artist Ariana Enriquez.
Renowned self-taught artist Lalo Cota’s signature calaveras (skulls) can be seen on the wall of Ghett Yo Taco (241 S. Oregon St.). Outside SanTan Brewing you’ll find father-and-son duo Such Styles and Champ Styles’ ode to Arizona brewing.
Every Saturday from October through June, the downtown Chandler farmers market takes over Dr. A.J. Chandler Park West from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Expect to find dozens of artisans, food vendors and produce stalls. Find event updates at https://www.facebook.com/ChandlerFarmersMarket.
Coming soon to downtown Chandler
New options for food, drinks and entertainment will open downtown.
According to its Facebook page, The Uncommon promises to provide “nostalgia-inducing fun” where you can “let your nerd flag fly” at its restaurant and arcade bar. Next door, Tipsy Egg will serve breakfast and lunch inside an “urban café with an Arizona twist,” according to its Instagram account. Both are concepts by Allium Hospitality and will be at the southeast corner of Arizona Avenue and Boston Street.
ImprovMania, which has been hosting comedy shows and classes downtown since 2014, will be moving into a new space around the corner from The Uncommon and Tipsy Egg on Boston Street.
Details: 51 E. Boston St., Chandler. 480-699-4598, https://improvmania.net.
Support local journalism. Subscribe to azcentral.com today.